So their is another addition to my cakes & bakes section. I love baking with fresh fruits, like their fresh flavours. Already posted few cakes & muffins with fruits and this is with oranges. I have prepared this last weekend as few guests were arriving us and they specially demanded to have some cakes in dessert :). So I picked up my all the baking gadgets and baked a very simple yet flavourful orange cake.
Its an eggless version, as I have already mentioned several times that I try to prepare eggless stuff more so that it can be followed by everyone :). I substituted eggs with yogurt and also substituted butter with oil. During my last post of Banana and walnut cake, someone asked me that why I use oil rather than butter, though butter taste nice? Hence would like to share with all of you that yes butter taste nice, but at the same time oil is no less, rather it makes the cake moist. Sometimes using butter in recipes, makes the cake a bit dry. But I am not very stringent with using oil, if the recipe demands for butter I use butter even and use other ingredients to make cake moist like sour cream, buttermilk. I saw many recipes which used condensed milk, making it more easier I tried it without on and results were too good, as u can see in the above pic. So lets move towards the recipe following the method
Link for the video -
I have divided the ingredients list in two parts- the dry & wet ingredients. This way it will be easy for you to follow.
- All Purpose flour/Maida/Plain flour - 1+1/2 cups
- Baking Powder - 1+1/2 tsps
- Baking Soda - 1/2 tsp
- White granulated sugar - 3/4cup
- Thick Yogurt - 3/4 cup (at room temperature)
- Vegetable Oil - 1/2 cup
- Orange juice - 1/2 cup (Freshly squeezed)
- Orange Zest - 1 tsp
- Icing sugar/Ground sugar - 3-4 tbsps
- Orange juice - 2tbsps
- First preheat the oven at 180°C. Grease & flour the baking tin of 7" diameter, if you want, line with parchment paper/Butter paper. I took a loaf tin.
- Sieve the dry ingredients together atleast 3 times and keep aside, this give more aeration in the flour and helps in making the cake light.
- In other bowl mix sugar + yogurt and whisk nicely, you will get a very nice texture. To this add orange juice, oil and orange zest and mix. After they are well combined add the dry ingredients and fold in gently.
- Pour the batter in tin.
- Bake it on the middle rack for 35-40 mins or unless a tooth pick inserted in the cake comes out clean. Mine took exactly 40 minutes. But keep checking after 35 minutes as every oven vary as per the power :)
- When done, take it out and give a rest of 2 minutes in the tin, then demold and cool on a cooling rack.
- Prepare the sugar glaze - In a bowl take sugar and mix in orange juice little by little. Don't pour entire juice in one go. Mix well and you will get pouring consistency glaze. For details watch the video attached.
- Once the cake is completely cooled, pour the glaze and let it set for 5-10 minutes. Slice it and serve.
For orange zest - Take an orange wash it thoroughly, grate the outer skin but make sure to grate only the orange part and not white (otherwise it will be bitter). This is your fresh orange zest
Enjoy cake with Tea/coffee or with icecream or just like this only.
Please do share your experiences and feedback with me in the below section of comments or on my Facebook page. I too have a You Tube channel please do visit for all the video recipes. All the links mentioned below :)Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/cookwithpriyanka
Thanks & Happy Baking